To: Subscribers of Netsurfer Digest:;
Subject: Netsurfer Digest: Vol. 06, #17

NETSURFER DIGEST
More Signal, Less Noise Volume 06, Issue 17
Tuesday, May 16, 2000

BREAKING SURF

Severe Windows Security Bug and Fix
This bug is quite bad, and has been known since last year. It became more
of an issue after somebody figured out you could exploit it to propagate
computer infections in the same manner as the ILOVEYOU worm, only with much
more destructive results. Any PC running Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or
Office 2000 can be attacked with e-mail attachments, even if the recipient
does not open said attachments. You don't even have to be using Internet
Explorer: just having it installed with default security settings makes you
vulnerable. The techies among you can see the horror of the situation.
Fortunately, a fix will patch the hole in under five minutes. Make sure all
the Windows machines in your care apply the patch immediately.
Incidentally, Microsoft has finally responded to this class of
e-mail-delivered worms by redesigning how the Outlook e-mail client deals
with attachments. PCWorld has the story.
Bug:
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-032.asp>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-032.asp
Fix:
<http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/iebuild/scriptlet/en/scriptlet.htm>http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/iebuild/scriptlet/en/scriptlet.htm