Audrey...

I betcha you ' n I are just about the only 2 gals on the List who
know what fun the "old time" (hahaha!  I can't believe it's less
than a decade ago that BBSes were all the rage 'cause only
military types an academics really knew about the Internet).

Tho my board DID have several out of state (and the board was here
in L.A.) "regulars" calling in daily to play the 55 games we had.
the majority of our members were local - meaning real people came
to our weekly user meets/dinners - usually between 20 to 30
smiling BBSers, often with spouse and kids in tow 'cause they knew
my BBS was a family oriented (tho no one under 21 was permitted on
the system 'cause they were alllllll fellas then and allllllll
<blush> horny!!! <giggle>

Please give your son a big "Howdy" from a fellow sysop,  Hmmm.....
(thinking) I wonder if he ever heard of Blazin' Bytes BBS outta
L.A?  We were running a full service 16 incoming phone lines
( LOL - in those days THAT was a medium sized BBS) with 7
additional lines daisy-chained into the main phone system/computer
to bring toll-free calling in from the "outback.":  We ran TBBS
software to handle all the online games (all 55 of 'em!), and
there was Fidonet  for for our "thinkers." <smile>

GAWD, I loved the Bytes as tho it was a child of mine and to tell
ya the truth, even tho my kids were adults and out of the family
nest by the time I brought the BBS online (in 1992), they actually
were JEALOUS of the time and effort I put into the board and it's
members...

The girls and I had some great soulful and enlightening discussion
yesterday over lunch about then having a BBS-geek mom (working in
an office built into our condo unit's garage) <housing 3 PCs, and
tons of modems, and all the other 'lectroninc "junk" needed to
keep the Bytes up and running> when their friends mothers all
worked 9 to 5 jobs or they didn't work outside the home at all.

Ooooooh Audrey... did you ever open a"Pandora's Box" just FULL of
terrific memories!  And I think it's wonderful that you son ran a
BBS in his teens - he's GOT to be  a bright and responsible adult
after his sysop-ing experiences.

Hugs....

Barb (aka Blazin' Barb, way back in the good ol days of BBSing)