Date sent:              Fri, 19 May 2000 10:33:49 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Jo Ann Coen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: People Interested in Alternative Medicine
To:                     [log in to unmask]

>  I went to a
> cosmetic surgeon , who said he wouldn't touch a patient who had Bell's
> Palsy.  Strange, huh? I've been told Bell's Palsy occurs when one has
> been emotionally traumatized. Is this true?

I am not sure why the cosmetic surgeon rejected you.  There are
procedures which can improve the cosmetic result.

The "classical" Bell's Palsy is the result of a viral infection which
causes swelling of that portion of the facial nerve which travels
through the middle ear (it is called the facial canal; or, in the old
terminology, the Fallopian canal [yes, old man Fallopius named that
structure as well as the female "tubes"]).  Sometimes, if the Bell's Palsy
is caught at the very beginning, a surgery can be done which removes
bone over the facial canal and allows the nerve to swell without
compression, but it has to be done within a few hours of onset.

The "kicker" with Bell's Palsy is that you have to diagnose it properly.
There are many neurological conditions (some quite serious) which
can cause isolated paralysis of the facial nerve, and one has to make
sure that one is not dealing with one of those.  One of the best ways
to make the differential (not absolute, but good) is to determine
whether there is preservation of taste function (sweet, sour, salty) on
the front portion of the tongue.  If the taste sensation is lost on the
same side as the facial paralysis, it is most likely a classical Bell's Palsy.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"