Date sent:              Sat, 20 May 2000 20:32:08 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Jo Ann Coen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: People Interested in Alternative Medicine
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> You probably
> know that most physicians had only 4 to 8 hours on nutrition, and
> today that has become a vital part in healing.  Who's to say it is
> "that" thing that cause healing and who's to say it is a placebo
> effect.  I'm here to say that what ever works, can't be criticized.

I have much more training in nutrition than 8 hours' worth.  And I
didn't go to a "special" school for it, either.

I do not decry people who "get better" after "alternative treatments".
But before I will accept a causative connection, it has to be proven
scientifically.  I remember that someone pointed out the fact once that
of all convicted murderers on death row, virtually 100% were cigarette
smokers.  Thus, one could say that cigarette smoking leads to murder.

Even scientific studies are occasionally proven false because of some
inherent bias.  When I was in medical school, there was a disease
called Buerger's Disease (a disease of blood vessels which led to
gangrene and amputations) that was reported to be a disease of
"Jewish people of Eastern European origin".  The occasional case
described in African-Americans was shrugged off as an anomaly.
Well, it was subsequently figured out that Dr. Buerger, when he wrote
his paper on the disease, was using patients from the Montefiore
Hospital of New York City; where most of the patients were "Jewish
people of Eastern European origin".

I will accept people's *observations*, but before I accept a
cause/effect relationship, I will require scientific proof.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"