On 14 May 2000, at 12:06, Parkinsons NZ Information Centre wrote:

> Has anyone heard of Stiffman's Disease or Hypertonia? I gather it comes
> under the general umbrella of Parkinsonism. Any info gratefully
> received.
>
> Thanks
> Eva Petro

Hi Eva,
It appears this is a rare and seperate disorder and not really related to
Parkinsons other than it is a movement disorder.  Here are some links
to sites on the Internet.

NOTE:  Patients and laypersons looking for guidance among the target
sources of this collection of links are strongly advised to review the
information retrieved with their professional health care provider.

Search under the following terms: Moersch-Woltmann Syndrome,
Stiff-Man Syndrome, Stiffman Syndrome, Stiff Person Syndrome,
SMS,

Stiff-Person Syndrome mini information sheet
Abstract:  National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Written March 1997 Reviewed and Updated March 2000
STIFF-PERSON SYNDROME.
Index:. What is Stiff-person Syndrome?.
Is there any treatment?.
What is the prognosis?.
What research is being done?.
Where can I find more information?. last updated 3-6-00).

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/patients/disorder/stiffperson/stiffperson.htm

Stiff-man Syndrome
http://info.med.yale.edu/intmed/stiffman/stiff_man_syndrome.htm

Stiff-man Syndrome
http://www.info.med.yale.edu/neurol/CNeurophysiol/stiff_man_syndrome.htm

Stiff-Person Syndrome: An Autoimmune Disease
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/5914/Newpage123.htm

Baylor Neurology Case of the Month
Diagnosis: Stiff-person Syndrome
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat40/summary.html

Stiff Man Syndrome Foundation
http://www.stiff-man.org/

Articles on Stiff Man Syndrome (under const.)
http://www.stiff-man.org/info/

Resources
http://www.stiff-man.org/resources/

Stiff Person
http://gasnet.med.yale.edu/maillist/1997/july/msg00452.html

Re: stiff-man syndrome
http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/neuro/archive/8067.html

The Efficacy of High-Dose Intravenous Immunoglobulin Therapy in Patients
with Stiff-man Syndrome:  A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
http://clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov/detail/A_96-N-0062.html

Patients with Stiff-man Syndrome Needed
http://www.sfn.org/agency/stiff_man.html

Neyromuscular - Fiber Activity
http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/mother/activity.html

Hyperekplexia - GLRA1
http://www.uwcm.ac.uk/uwcm/mg/search/118801.html

Hyperekplexia - GLRA1
http://www.uwcm.ac.uk/uwcm/mg/ns/1/118801.html

Ion Channel Diseases
http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/mother/chan.html
Scroll down to Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis - Hypokalemic...

I hope this is of some use....  murray

View the Parkinson's Awareness Links at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/index.html