Jo-Ann,
(:
It's poor quality control.  This has been a major problem the home type
writer business fo many years. Manufacturers decided    it was cheaper to
migrate the problem to pc keyboards.     The expense was staggering.  I have
noticed in the past year or so the problem with keyboards has gotten much
worse.  The latest study of this phenomena points to global warming and
possibly el nino as a likely cause.

Cathy