Bob, you said, (snip)

> BTW, I think that acupuncture has its place in medicine.  It is a
> good
> pain-reliever, but it does not "cure" anything.

It is my understanding that our western medical science has no clear
understanding of why acupuncture relieves pain (only that this has been
clearly established).  Until our science can unravel this mystery,
wouldn't it be more prudent to say that the western science of medicine
has not been able to validate claims that acupuncture has a therapeutic
effect in the treatment of illness?

BTW, acupuncturists would probably be the first to agree that they do not
"cure" anything, since, in my limited understanding, this treatment is
thought in the East to facilitate the body's natural healing powers by
unblocking some sort of energy flow necessary to proper health in the
affected area of the body.  Perhaps this is what you meant by saying
acupuncture does not cure anything?  (I'm really not trying to be a smart
a-- with this question as I have known physicians who emphasize that
drugs and surgery generally facilitate, but that the body "cures.")

Chuck