Shortly after my carpal tunnel operation, I met a trained Korean
acupuncturist who was also trained as a nurse in Western medicine.  She
needled me for pain due to carpal tunnel in the other hand and
arthritis.  I have had no pains from these sources since then, and that
was over ten years ago.
I was then working at the FDA, and I recall that about ten to twelve
years ago, the FDA did have a study on acupuncture and did find that
endomorphins were being releases from the punctured sites.  Some info on
the subject should be available from FDA or/and NIH.
The philosophy of acupuncture is quite interesting too and if you could
see a map of acupuncture points, you would probably see a well
documented map that evolved over several thousand years.
I believe it could significantly reduce pain even to the point where it
can be used as a sole anesthetic in surgery.
Michel