The local ABC channel here in Pittsburgh called and asked to do an interview
with me to air next Wednesday on the 11:00 PM news after the last Spin City
episode.  Their objective is to put a local face on Parkinson's disease.  My
objective is to raise awareness.

I believe raising awareness is still a major objective for the Parkinson's
cause.  We have a compelling story and when it is told people are very
supportive.  I would encourage leaders of local Parkinson organizations
around the country to consider approaching your local ABC news people and
suggest that they might be interested in a local twist to Michael J Fox's
last episode of Spin City.

When we started six years ago the annual amount spent on Parkinson's disease
research at NIH was $ 24 million.  Also a major issue was earmarketing
(congress specifying what should be done with the dollars they appropriate.)
But things have changed dramatically. NIH is now asking congress to fund a
Parkinson research agenda calling for $947 million over five years.  There
is a high probability that during the next five years, given this increase
spending level, a cure or new effective treatment for Parkinson's disease
will be discovered.  Michael J Fox has tremendous visibility.  The attention
he focuses on Parkinson disease will help assure that funds requested by NIH
are actually forthcoming.

What we need to do now, is make sure we have the best scientist, doing the
best science.  The Parkinson's Alliance is committed to doing that by
offering small grants of $25,000.00 to researchers who have a good idea in
Parkinson's disease.  These funds are to be used to generate the pilot data
which is a virtual necessity in order to obtain a large NIH grant.  We have
tremendous momentum now.  Anyone, be it a group or individual, who has
financial resources sufficient to making meaningful contribution should do
it now.  Now is not the time to save for a rainey day.  Now is the time to
channel all funding possible into the research stream so that that stream
can become a raging river of cash and flood NIH with high quality research
proposals.