                                                                   HANDS

Have you ever really  looked at your hands?
Such funny looking things hanging on the end of your arms.
Useful, no doubt, but so strange looking.

For some reason, many of my favorite memories involve hands
hands reaching down, tucking a blanket close around my chin
tousling my hair, and making me feel so warm and safe

And later, hands reaching out so shyly
to hold mine, just before I got my first kiss,
worried that I would do something wrong
sweat running down my palms
in nervous anticipation

I believe there is one set of hands for each of us
not the ones we are born with,
but the ones which are able to touch us so deep inside -
soft, so warm, capable of giving such pleasure
or causing so much pain.

Hands holding our hands,
walking together in the moonlight
making you feel so warm and loved

Later, a soft hand slipping a ring on my finger
seen now only in an old picture
put away, like the ring I used to wear
but bringing such bittersweet joy, even now

Hands gently touching skin,
In the middle of the night,
Raising goose bumps,
but feeling so warm and nice.

And memories of another hand I loved,
clinched in anger, striking my face
hurting my heart,
so much more than the physical pain it caused

but there is one last set of hands,
gently touching me, when the medicine wears off
and the monster inside me emerges
twisting my body into some stranger’s,
and leaving me trapped inside

but this set of hands doesn’t leave
and doesn’t flinch from what
the disease leaves me showing the world

a rough set of hands, calloused from life
and raising her children
and working two jobs
to support them

but hands so soft and sweet
meant for me only,
to touch me when I am down
and hold me when I am up

because the nicest part of holding someone’s hands
is that they are holding yours too
and hands make two separate people
a single couple
so nice, those special hands