hi all

the miracle of the World Wide Web
[now all of 9 years old]
has been its accessibility and readability of its pages
by virtually all computer platforms and operating systems

the miracle of the InterNet
[now all of 30 years old]
has been its accessibility and instant world wide communication
limited to text and to the major 'platforms'

as part of the "Parkinson's Information Exchange Network"
we have been reaping the benefits of the latter miracle
for nigh on to 7 years now

viz, imho,
the InterNet communication miracle
is in front of your very eyes this very minute
as you read my words to you

the fact that i can 'say' them
[anyone has the ability to 'say' anything here]

the fact that you can 'hear' them
[anyone has to ability to 'listen' to anything here]

the fact that we can have this cyber/discussion/debate/exchange
within literally seconds around the globe
about an ethereal 'place'
that we can all 'visit'
and 'talk' about

as we know only too well
InterNet communication has its limits
in terms of being restricted to plain text only

"cross-platform communication" as the nerds say
was a real problem and a real limitation

[that's where the use of the "apples and oranges" [or maybe lemons?] metaphor
is possibly more appropriate]

enter Hyper-Text-Markup-Language in 1991
witness the birth of the World Wide Web section of the InterNet
and its unprecedented growth

the appeal of the WWWeb and HTML is its ability to add 'bells and whistles'
graphics, aound files, video files, animation, etc etc etc
to that backbone structure of plain text

WWWeb designers are naturally drawn to the newest 'gizmos' on the block

however,
in order to maintain the 'universal accessibility' aspect of the WWWeb miracle
WWWeb designers are advised by the WWWeb powers-that-be:
W3C - The World Wide Web Consortium

to follow the guidelines in their Web Accessibility Initiative
to ensure that their work can be translated/read/rendered
by all platforms/computers/internet-appliances
be they
wireless-cell-web-tv-dick-tracy watches
or
text-to-speech readers for the visually impaired
or
speech-to-text writers for the typing impaired
or
... you name it!
[if you can predict this techno whirlwind we live in]

Michael J. Fox's website:
http://www.michaeljfox.com</a>

does not meet those guidelines
nor does the
Parkinson Action Network's website:
http://www.parkinsonaction.org</a>

nor do lots of other sites to varying degrees
on my own 'links' pages
the links:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/6th/</a>

as well as
on murray's wwweb resources pages:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/</a>

so, yes,
there's a speed bump or two out here on the cyber/frontier/dirt-path/highway/
BUT
and that's a BIG BUT
that makes cyberia no less miraculous
and the kudos to mjf and pan no less deserved!!

their sites just need a few adjustments and adaptations and alternatives added,
and bob's yer uncle, 100% universal access by
all platforms, all people and all parkies

it's nuthin to fight about
but it IS sumthin to excite about!

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
visit my website "a new voice" at: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/