Dear Listmembers,

Marty Polonsky and I heard that another list member wasn't feeling so well
-- our friend Stacy Colicchio.  So we managed to go see him at his
apartment in a low-rent retirement place south of LA.  I did the mom-type
things (well, it WAS Mother's day) -- meals, cleaning.  Marty, despite his
own constant pain and difficult balance problems, did the heroic things:
helping Stacy dress, helping him realize the seriousness of his situation,
calling family members to negotiate appropriate action.  We left him
sleeping peacefully.  Marty followed up the  next day, and sat long hours
in a Kaiser facility as Stacy endured a battery of tests.  The results: an
inoperable brain tumor.  Stacy is now  in a   hospice, drifting in and out
of cognizance.

Alan Bonander had gently strong-armed Stacy and me to start a support group
in Santa Monica in 1992.  Again, I bustled around with  handouts and
organizing, and Stacy brought his soul.  Whenever the discussion seemed to
be wandering off, it was always fruitful to bring it back to him.  He'd
open his  heart and invariably a few tears appeared on  his cheek.  Years
later I would tease him about how I always knew when to "cue Stacy, the
weeper".  Years later still, when  he was so down on himself, I would
remind  him how deeply he had touched people there and how much those
moments had meant to me.

We face the unspoken specter of end-stage Parkinson's, something we rarely
dare mention, even on this brave list.  So through my profound sadness
about Stacy, I envy his escape.  And I'll remember the sparkle in his eyes
on Mother's Day when he spoke of the lady who had just moved in across the
hall: "Haven't you met Milly?  I guess you haven't.  Because if you'd ever
met Milly, you'd never forget her."

Mary
Thanking you for "being there".