I was diagnosed with PD in 1988 at the age of 45. right of the bat an
incompetent neuro prescribed too much sinemet. I wasn't complaining because
everything seemed great in those first two years. i did not at that time
know any better so i kept taking much too much Sinemet. By the time i was
seeing a Competent neurologist I was already experiencing dyskinesia. The
new Neuro greatly cut back the amount of Sinemet I was taking. I was also
taking selegoline. All the while my Dyskesias kept geting more intense.
Finally by about 1994 I would have Dyskinesias that would have me on the
floor flailing about for up to three hours. By this time i was hearing
about Dr. Iacoca an the successes that he was having with pallidotomies.
Then at a Parkinson's symposeum I heard Dr Steven Gancher say that a
pallidotomy would relieve Dyskinesia.

Wait,  here is somthing I wrote about the experience a ew years ago. in
fact this was shortly after my Pallidotomy.

First I am 52 years old  and was diagnosed  with Parkinson’s Disease  (PD)i
n early 1988.  It was devastating  to me than as I was 45 years of age. I
was in  denial for the first year after my diagnosis. I was from the first
over medicated partly due to my ignorance and partly due to an incompetent
neurologist. So from about the second year I was troubled with
involuntary movements  caused as a side effect from the main  PD drug
Levodopa . This movement is called dyskinesia. After several years
parkinsonians develop distinct  on-off effects. That is when the medication
is working  for the person, he/she is said to be on. When the medication is
worn off they are said to be off. Sometimes this line between  off and on
is very narrow.  Going from on to off can happen very quickly like a light
switch. I finally got to where I was either off or dyskinetic. There was
little middle ground. I was to the point that I was going to go on
disability.

But, thank God for Dr. Kim Burchiel. I now have an excellent neurologist,
Dr. Sheila Sund. She referred me to the movement disorders clinic at Oregon
Health Sciences University (OHSU) in Portland for evaluation. The Dr.
there, Dr. Stephen Gancher, agreed that I was a good candidate for  a  PVP.
He referred me to see Dr. Burchiel on July 18, 1995. This was the middle of
May. I could hardly wait. When the day finally came Dr. Burchiel discussed
the procedure with me and agreed that I was a good subject. The scheduled
time was
August 21, 1995.

I anticipated that date like a little kid anticipates Christmas. Time
wouldn’t pass fast enough.
When the surgery date came I was first fitted with a steriotactic  frame on
my head. It was fitted with an MRI localizer  and sent to MRI (should I
tell about the insurance screw-up and the almost postponement of my surgery?

 Then after some waiting the surgery began (it was about 9:30 am). I felt
just a little pressure when the Dr. drilled the insertion holes, but no
more that that. During the procedure they kept asking me questions like
what was my name, where did I think that I was at, count to ten. Then when
the first lesion was placed the Dr., told me to raise my leg and to raise
my hand and hold them steady. I was able to do it with out any trouble.
Then in less than 30 minutes the other lesion was placed. The frame was
removed  and I was wheeled back to my room. I slept soundly for about four
hours. I had hardly slept the night before.

After the PVP I have had no dyskinesia, my medication works for me
(5-25/100, 6- 25mg Permax per day)
I have full use of my hands and legs with very little. Stiffness. I just
feel like I’ve been given back my life. The one down side is that my speech
is affected to a small extent. I will take that. In the morning prior to
taking any meds I still shuffle when I walk. Would I recommend it. YES!,
for anyone as plagued with dyskinesia as I was.
This was some of my experience.
David Moreland