Date sent:              Tue, 23 May 2000 20:49:31 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                PMID: 10753482: Behavioral complications of early pallidotomy
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Behavioral complications of early pallidotomy
>
> A review of stereotactic medial pallidotomy of the 1950s in five
> neurosurgical centers is presented. The surgical technique varied from
> one center to the other. The results of surgery, however, seemed to be
> quite equal, being positive in 70-90% of the patients. The surgical
> mortality ranged from 0 to 13%. Behavioral complications were
> adequately analyzed and reported from one center only and published by
> three independent neurologists. The side effects included drowsiness
> (12%), confusion (13.6%), mental deterioration (5%), memory deficit
> (13.6%), and dysphasia (7.5-24%, the rate depending on the concomitant
> brain atrophy). Among permanent side effects, 5% of the patients
> presented with a mild postoperative mental deterioration, whereas
> 13.6% had a severe memory deficit. In the four other centers, the
> results and side effects were analyzed only by the surgeons and were
> more biased. A comparison of the results and complications between
> Leksell's early medial pallidotomy of 1951-1957 and recent medial
> pallidotomies of the 1990s from two centers showed that 40 years ago
> Leksell had at least as good results as, and less serious
> complications than, two representative neurosurgeons of today. Even
> when positive clinical results of GPi pallidotomy have recently been
> reported from several centers, the patients seem to have improved
> relatively little, the dyskinesias excepted, and the rate of side
> effects has been quite high. The author is afraid that medial
> pallidotomy will soon be abandoned as a method of choice in the
> surgical treatment of Parkinson's disease, as in fact happened 40
> years ago. One should look for better surgical alternatives and
> targets outside of the medial pallidum. Copyright 2000 Academic Press.
>
> LV Laitinen
> Brain Cogn 2000 Apr;42(3):313-23
> Sophiahemmet Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
> PMID: 10753482, UI: 20218804

How does this relate to those (some on this List) who have promoted
pallidotomy for most of the time that I have been here?  The above
article (thanks, Janet!) comes from Dr. Laitinen, the doctor who
"brought back" pallidotomy (I did them in the early sixties when I was
in training).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"