On 28 May 00, at 0:34, JOHN WHERRY wrote:

> ... Also, I am currently working (7 hours/day) doing computer
> database work.  My skills in this area are still intact, but I am
> having increasing problems organizing my work and staying focused.
> My boss, who is aware of my PD, is being very supportive and gives
> me a "to-do" list of tasks each morning.  This is helping a lot,
> but I can foresee the day coming soon when I will be fired or asked
> to resign.  If I have this choice, which is better, being fired or
> resigning, get any benefits from the state unemployment insurance?

It would be important to determine what is at the root of your
problem of organizing and staying focused.  Is it stress?
Depression?  A cognitive effect of PD? Have you asked your doctor
about this?  It would be useful evidence for disability insurance
purposes to have your doctor begin to accummulate medical data
on this aspect of your condition, such as through psychological
testing.

Are you familiar with the Americans with Disabilities Act? If your
employer is covered, then he/she cannot legally fire you as long as
reasonable accommodations can be made that will permit you to
continue working and as long as you can still perform the essential
functions of your job. You sound fortunate in having an
understanding and accommodating supervisor.  Let's hope he/she
stays there as long as you do.

It sounds like you are not covered by an employee/group long term
disability insurance plan.  Unfortunately, that's too often the case.
If a group plan is available, can you apply?  Also, is long-term care
insurance available?

In any event, you need to investigate Social Security Disability
Insurance, which, should you qualify (and it sounds like you
should), will provide as disability insurance, effective from the date
of disability through the regular retirement age, an amount equal to
what you  would receive should you instead retire at the regular
retirement age.  After the regular retirement age, then you continue
to get the same amount, but it's the regular retirement benefit.

I have assembled some on-line references to these matters in
www.pdindex.org which you may find useful.

Your question about state unemployment insurance assumes that
when you are terminated as disabled you can receive state
unemployment insurance.  Unemployment insurance is usually
temporary insurance intended to provide some money until you are
working again. If you are permanently disabled, would you still be
eligible?  Ask your state unemployment insurance office, if you can
reach anyone there who knows.  It would depend on your particular
state's laws.

Is termination for some reason other than disability, such that you
could receive unemployment insurance, possible?

Some states have their laws on-line.  You might start looking for
them at http://www.state.xx.us, where xx = your state's postal
code. Also check the state labor laws and your employer's
personnel policies covering procedures and basis of termination of
employees.

Best wishes,

Phil Tompkins
Amherst MA