I have mixed feelings on the Samuelson [PAN] / Fox union.  Joan Samuelson
has done a good job with her lobbying efforts.  She led the fight for the
Udall legislation from the very beginning to its passage and
implementation.  She was criticized and lambasted by the two largest
national PD organizations in the early part of her campaign for increased
federal funding. She tried to work within the Parkinson's disease community
as it existed in the early and middle 1990's, but the entrenched PD
organizations considered her to be at best a misinformed dreamer and a
self-serving opportunist.   They changed their tune as she gained momentum,
and they joined her to the extent that they tried to claim some or all of
her victory  for themselves.  In the late stages of her drive for the
Udall Act, there was real but sometimes begrudging help from the
two largest national PD organizations.

The Parkinson's Action Network [PAN] has been a lobbying organization
which stated that it had no desire or intent to compete with the national
PD groups.  I gave support to Joan and PAN with the understanding that PAN
was not and would not be a  competitor to the regular PD organizations.

The statement about union with Fox puts PAN [now Michael J. Fox Foundation
for Parkinson's Research] and its aims puts it squarely in competition with
the national organizations. The Parkinson's community at the local levels
has been battling to speak with one voice. The UPF / PDF merger was a step
in the right direction.  Now we are back to four again.

Will