Neuropsychological outcome of pallidotomy and DBS in PD

This paper highlights the neuropsychological sequelae of posteroventral pallidotomy (PVP) and deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi) at 3/6 months postoperatively.

Results are based on our extensive experience with PVP and our preliminary observations with DBS.

Patients with borderline cognitive or psychiatric functioning risk postoperative decompensation.

Nonlateralizing attentional and hemisphere-specific impairments of frontostriatal cognitive functions followed unilateral PVP.

"Frontal" behavioral dyscontrol was observed in approximately 25% of patients.

Three cases of staged bilateral PVP suggest that premorbid factors may predict outcome, although lesion size and location are also critical.

Older patients are at risk for significant cognitive and behavioral decline after bilateral STN DBS, while GPi DBS may be safer.

Copyright 2000 Academic Press.
Brain Cogn 2000 Apr;42(3):324-47
Trepanier LL, Kumar R, Lozano AM, Lang AE, Saint-Cyr JA
Toronto Western Hospital-Research Institute, University of Toronto and The Toronto Hospital.
PMID: 10753483, UI: 20218805

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
visit my website "a new voice" at: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/