Hi Brian:

I have been biting my tongue re commenting on the ropinorole study.

I agree with you that this study is questionable at best.

For one thing, the data presented in this study have ALREADY been used
heavily by Smith-Kline Beecham in marketing.  These data were printed and
distributed in beautiful brochures BEFORE it ever went through the peer
review process for publication.  It is sad that an "ethical" pharmaceutical
company would have to resort to this type of tactic in marketing.

The marketing claim is that early treatment with agonist is better than
early treatment with levodopa.  They claim that the study supports this
contention because the prevalence of dyskinesia in the group that was
treated  first with agonist was less.

The study had only two groups of parkinsonian patients:  those treated with
ropinorole first, and those treated with levodopa first.  In BOTH groups,
the clinicans were allowed to use supplemental l-dopa as the time went by
and the disease progressed.  Of course, at the endpoint, the levodopa group
(levodopa first  plus levodopa) was using a lot more levodopa on the average
than the ropinorole group (ropinorole first plus levodopa).

What they fail to empahsize or mention is that a group in which therapy
begins with levodopa and is later supplemented with ropinorole was not used
(levodopa first plus ropinorole).

Any careful scientist would cry foul at this experimental design, since what
is being compared is not cleanly the effect of the initial drug, but more
significantly the effect of gradually increasing doses of levodopa pursuing
diminishing returns,w hich you well know is not productive.  We all know
that excess levodopa makes dyskinesia worse.  The study did NOT prove that
early treatment with ropinorole prevents the dyskinesias.

The "standard" use of agonists has been to use levodopa first and supplement
with agonist later.  Is there any reason for this group to be excluded from
the study?  No.  The only reason is that if this group is included the
results would not be likely to be favorable towards early treatment with the
agonist.

Unfortunately, these scientific objections are rather sophisticated and most
people do not have the background in scientific research or clinical trial
design to pick up on this glaring ommission.

This study, of course, complied with all of the requirements of the FDA.
But the result is that they are selling you real estate in an island in the
Pacific.

Jorge

the difference beteen early treatment an