Date sent:              Wed, 31 May 2000 22:15:23 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Don Berns <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: PARKINSN Digest - 23 May 2000 (#2000-451)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Although I find it impossible to keep up with the huge volume on the
> Parkinson's Digest occasionally I come across something  which I feel
> compelled to respond.  Dating back several years ago, we have had a
> basic disagreement as to the effectiveness of a pallidotomy and Dr.
> Iacono in particular.

No one is throwing down any gauntlets.  Janet just posted a piece of
controlled, peer-reviewed scientific research.  It was, BTW, conducted
by the neurosurgeon who literally *brought back* pallidotomy (Dr.
Lauri Laitinen from Sweden) and encouraged people like Dr. Iacono,
some years ago, to try the operation again.  Pallidotomy is not a new
procedure; it was done in the early to mid-sixties for Parkinson's
disease (I probably did over 100 in Chicago when I was in training),
using a somewhat more primitive localization technique.  The results in
those days were initially good, as well, but, as time passed, many of
the patients relapsed and, 5-10 years later, were just as bad as they
were before the surgery.

I am happy that Don Berns is doing well.  I hope he continues to do
so.  But please do not take scientific research and negate it with
personal agendas designed to support a procedure or a particular
surgeon.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"