Nina and all,

I prepare extra clothes in both bathrooms,
 stategically placed, since I have both end-of-dose
sweating, and per-dose sweating
that appears  to be Siinemet-related.

Does Madopar causes sweating
problems??

Ivan
:-)

On Sun, 28 May 2000 20:06:50 -0500 "Nina P. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Hi, I'm not a doctor or professional, but I take a little
> informtation from
> here and a little from there and then write the newsletter for our
> support
> group.  This topic was in the newsletter a few months ago, so I
> thought I'd
> copy it for you.  I've also read that when this happens, it's only
> perceived, you're not really hot.  Altho that answer cam from a
> neuro, I
> didn't believe it, so I didn't include it in the article!
> nina
>
>  I'M BURNING UP AND IT'S NOT EVEN HOT
>
> I once wrote an article titled "I'm Freezing and It's Not Even
> Cold"--now
> I'm sweating and it's not even hot.  In polite company, it is said
> that
> "women don't sweat ~ they perspire, glisten or glow."  I'm here to
> tell
> you, with water dripping from my head, that I sweat.  After going
> through
> menopause without hot flashes, I never anticipated that Parkinson's
> would
> play havoc with my internal temperature controls.
>
> Parkinson's affects a part of the nervous system that regulates blood
> pressure, heart rate, bowel movements, and bladder function as well
> as
> maintaining body temperature.  While not completely understood,
> scientists
> have found that abnormal sensations of heat or cold, impaired
> sweating
> advancing stages of an untreated person with Parkinson's.  Some of
> these
> phenomena disappear with levodopa treatment (Sinemet) which suggests
> that
> dopamine may play a role in regulating our temperature.  Taking a
> dopamine
> agonist might be beneficial for the severe drenching sweats that
> occur at
> end-of dose or "off" periods.
>
> Although it's rarely as severe as in the "off" state, peak dose
> dyskinesia
> (abnormal movements from high doses of levodopa and/or long term
> levodopa
> therapy) can also cause sweating.  Beta-adrenergic blockers are often
> helpful with "off"-period sweating.  Sweating may also be caused by
> other
> physical problems, so be sure to check with your doctor.
>

> Carol Gray wrote:
>
> > DOES  ANYONE HAVE THIS  PROBLEM  WHICH THEY FEEL IS MEDICATION
> INDUCED?

 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)