Hi Charles:

I do invite you to read the article in the New England Journal.

It claims to compare the effects of early treatment with ropinorole against
early treatment with levodopa.  The study design is flawed fatally, in my
opinion.  I do not know how the NEJM reviewers let it pass.

The "standard" way of treating Parkinson's has been to begin with levodopa
and then, as levodopa has decreasing efficacy and/or increasing side
effects, to add an agonist.

The NEJM article compares:

1)  Ropinorole first, supplemented with levodopa
2)  Levodopa first, supplemented with more levodopa.

Of course, the second group ended up with a higher dose of levodopa and more
dyskinesias.

Why the investigators omitted the "standard" group from the comparison is
unexplainable.  This would have been a group in which one would use levodopa
first, and then supplement with agonist.  The interpretation that the
occurrence of fewer dyskinesias in group 1 has to do with a beneficial
effect of early ropinorole or a toxic effect of early levodopa is not proven
scientifically unless you also have group 3:

3) Levodopa first, supplemented with agonist.

So long as that group is missing, the same data can be explained by
observing that the average dose of levodopa in group 2 was greater than in
group 1 - i.e. a dose dependent effect of levodopa - NOT a protective effect
of early ropinorole.

Indeed the study was paid and supported by Smith-Kline.  In the same issue
of the New England Journal there is a powerful editorial by Marcia Angell
(editor of the NEJM) and a special article on Health Policy that addresses
the issue of drug company influence on research, publications, and academic
efforts, that will be very sobering.  Not even the NEJM is protected from
those influences.

Jorge