Juanita wrote:

>Greg, in a perfect world this is true. However being a one on one
>caregiver
>is seldom easy..As I stated in an earlier
>post, it is never acceptable for a caregiver
>to loose it with a patient. But as you should be aware, you to Camilla,
>there really is a great deal of difference between being a paid
>caregiver(supposedly professional) and those that take care of a loved
>one.

I agree, Juanita--and certainly would not expect the same devotion and
committment from a paid CG.
But let's not get into a competition about who's most stressed out!  My
only point was that  all CGs can be stressed, and if that is recognized
when the first signs of trouble appear, as Ivan did so well, the CG can do
a much better job of caring, whether paid or for love alone.  Ivan could
simply have dismissed the offending CG, but knowing the problems he always
has with keeping helpers, I suspect he wanted this man to stay, and  to try
to resolve the problem---we don't know how often the yelling happened, and
there was no suggestion that it involved any other kind of abuse. Ivan made
the choice to resolve it, and did so creatively, in the process saving an
apparently valuable resource for himself.
May I mention, as a result of recent posts on CARE, that CGs know very well
the penalties of having PD, and in fact have stated that in one sense they
"have it "also, because their lives are also disrupted and controlled by
that terrible "designer disease".  ....just adding another perspective, not
"competing".....

        for YOU from Camilla

On PDWebring at : http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm
      And visit the CARE webring at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~caregivers/index.html

              When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot,
                                          Hang on, and swing!