>From:   Juanita Hibbert <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: PD & non PD:Quotations(long)
>To:     [log in to unmask]
>
>Marjorie, wonderful idea. There are places
>for respite care. Some nursing homes
>will do this. Of course at rather expensive rates. One of the retirement
>facilities in our area has studio apts(assisted living)
>available for  $85.00 a day . At first I thought that was outrageous.
>But when
>I actually thought about what a motel costs
>which never includes 3 meals a day, it really didn't sound too bad.
>There is a nurse on duty 24 hrs a day. They will assist with meds,
>bathing etc. But for total care the only places I have ever known of are
>nursing homes.
>Maybe we really should pursue more info
>on this subject.
>Juanita Cg for George

Juanita and Camilla,
I was thinking along the lines of it as a Mental Health Center & coming
under your Mental Health part of your insurance, so that the
insurance would pay at least some of the charge, and the patient
and family would pay the balance.
The USA, as much as I love it, has never understood that a persons
mental health and physical health cannot be separated.

This worked in England because of their medical system, and it
was a part of their health care.  No one had to pay anything for it,
but they were limited on how many times per year they could use it.

In the USA, HMO's and Managed Health Cares are now going all out for
preventive medicine, maybe its time they looked into something
to postpone Nursing Home care for as long as possible.

Didn't that former Governor of Washington plan something such
as this?

I wish I could think of the headings of those posts from the UK
years ago.  I'd look them up in the archives.

As Ever,
Marjorie
67/12