Brian, Jorge at al,

The marketeers have pushed too far, but what is new? ethical
pharmaceuticals are the jargon for prescription drugs. there is no
logic to suggest that they who manufacture such drugs are any more
ethical than candy makers.

the FDA does not control marketing. salesmen have the rating of shade
tree lawyer shysters. you both skirt the frankness that my middle
name brings me an excuse to say things like 'lies' and statistics can
prove anything. the only problem with freedom of speech is that the
truth is not often frankly told by liars. neither do those who are
convinced that the truth in labeling is to reveal all the beneficial
and the detrimental and unknown but expected negative about the
product. the one with the most money wins in court. the laws are not
all ethical, neither are the lawyers or doctors or pharmacists or
teachers or preachers.

do either of you think 20% of the profit should be spent on sales and
public relations? do either of you think this message or the two it
replies to are likely to make a difference?

my pet peeve is the biased subsidizing of the highest paid by the
federal government via the foolish instituting of wage - price spiral
by the annual payments rate increases for all entitlements coupled
with the mis-calculation that is escalating the basis of all payments
which makes the income divergence exponential.

this is one of the drivers of inflation. it also is intrinsic in the
usury that no longer exists as a crime. the person with the most
power soon has the most money. monopolist pricing is allowed to
recoup the development and approval costs of drugs. money bought the
increase to 17 years now for drug monopoly on new drugs. the
partitioning of the world into controlled sales zones is now done by
foreign trade rules. the exorbitant profits of internet sales that
avoid taxes, shipments methods that work around the various prices
allowed here and there will someday fall in on our heads, but let the
buyer / user beware. competence is rare in the average citizen in all
aspects of this laissez fair capitalism without usury restraints.
selling competitively to an open market with stable wages and prices
is impossible with the leading country legalizing unethical behavior.
justice is not the goal. winning is.

At 9:51 PM -0500 6/1/00, Jorge A Romero, MD wrote:
>Hi Brian:
>
>I have been biting my tongue re commenting on the ropinorole study.
>
>I agree with you that this study is questionable at best.
>
>For one thing, the data presented in this study have ALREADY been used
>heavily by Smith-Kline Beecham in marketing.  These data were printed and
>distributed in beautiful brochures BEFORE it ever went through the peer
>review process for publication.  It is sad that an "ethical" pharmaceutical
>company would have to resort to this type of tactic in marketing.
>
>The marketing claim is that early treatment with agonist is better than
>early treatment with levodopa.  They claim that the study supports this
>contention because the prevalence of dyskinesia in the group that was
>treated  first with agonist was less.

>snip
>
>Unfortunately, these scientific objections are rather sophisticated and most
>people do not have the background in scientific research or clinical trial
>design to pick up on this glaring ommission.
>
>This study, of course, complied with all of the requirements of the FDA.
>But the result is that they are selling you real estate in an island in the
>Pacific.
>
>Jorge
>
>the difference beteen early treatment an

snip

--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz
mailto:[log in to unmask]