The increase of libido is indeed a side effect of Sinemet for some PWPs,
and is not to be taken lightly. On the CARE list we have heard of very
difficult relationship problems this can cause, as well as delighted
spouses!  It can be uncomfortable--even painful--for the PWP, too.  Please
check the list archives for more info, and do discuss with your neuro--and
your partner, if it is changing your relationship.

>Hi all,
>
>I spoke recently with a TIAA/CREF retirement planning consultant at my
>workplace whose brother was diagnosed with MS about two years ago. He is
>taking the current standard medication for MS (the name of which I
>unfortunately don't remember). This came up when I told the consultant that
>I had Parkinson's. I asked how badly off his brother was with MS. He
>responded that he was still mobile, and that the most difficult thing was a
>psychological side-effect of the medication. "He can't behave maturely," he
>said of his 35-year-old brother. "He's totally changed, like he's reverted
>emotionally to adolescence. He's become a girl-chaser." This caught my
>attention because I, a 49-year-old married PWP, started having "crushes" on
>female co-workers and other female acquaintances not long after beginning
>my course of medications for PD 2.5 years ago. I take Sinemet CR and
>Requip. So could there be a connection? I've been reluctant to note this as
>a potential side-effect with my neurologist, and don't know if it is. I'm
>also a midlife male, with that whole can of worms attached. Before I start
>sounding like a talk-show guest, let me just ask if anyone, male or female,
>has any experience with, I guess, libido increase as a "side-effect" of
>Parkinson's medication.
>
>Rick

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on PDWebring at
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for