At 08:18 AM 2000/06/07 -0400, bill parrette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Hi all, Wow!   I  just  got  through reading some ten digests
>that had backed up in my mailbox while I had been busy.  There
>are  people out there in cyber-space who actually missed me?  Wow!...

i didn't say as much,
but i just knew you were up to no good!

>...spending a whole month teaching  classes  there. It  was  great
>meeting  you,  Bob B.  I hope we can get together again next time
>I'm out that way.  And, thank you Nancy for helping us connect...

let me re-phrase that..
'up to no good' Big-Time!
the Kansas Konnektion YiKes!

>... Finally, (and completely of-topic) if anyone on-list knows  of
>some  hackers  or phreaks who might be willing to help me, please
>contact me off-list.  I have a need to positively identify  some-
>one who is "bothering" me through proxy servers and anonymous re-
>mailers -- I have been unsuccessful in my own efforts at  identi-
>fying  them  and I am to the point where I want to pursue  prose-
>cution....

i don't think this subject is off-topic at all!
we are all co-pioneers out here in the Wild Wild West of the cyber-frontier
where any one can pretend to be any one or two or three or more...
if they so desire for whatever sad reason

luckily
as long as we keep our cyber-radar and smell-o-meters in good working order
such pretensions quickly reveal themselves as such

however
deliberate "bothering" can be a more troublesome problem out here
i have been deliberately "bothered" as well

i think it raises issues that should be addressed openly;
this affects all of us

why do "anonymous re-mailers" exist on the internet at all?

does "privacy" equal "anonymity"?

when does "anonymity" change to "pretension" to "fraud"?

when does "annoyance" change to "harrassment" to "stalking"?

having an e-mail address or a web-page
doesn't "invite" or "encourage" or "condone" such "bothering"
any more than having a postal address [a matter of public record]
or a home phone number [ditto] does

my posts here [like yours] include my snail-mail address and my phone number
for all list-members to share

i feel no need for "privacy" or "anonymity" in this pd community

jp
aka
jannie magnolia

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
visit my website "a new voice" at: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/