Date sent:              Tue, 6 Jun 2000 19:26:46 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Jo Ann Coen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Looking for Comments and Suggestions
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Paul - Funny you should mention about Ginko.  I've read where it takes
> at least 30 days for it to be come effective, just as St. john's Wort
> does. I've taken it for 3 months, and I believe the only benefit
> received from it is that the health food store makes good money.
> However, I won't give up yet - so don't you.  Jo Ann from Houston

Folks should read the May or June issue of Consumer Reports (I don'
recall which one).  There was a long article about "alternative" and
"herbal" medications.  Gingko and St. John's Wort were prominently
mentioned as actually being *dangerous* under certain conditions
(for example in liver disease and when an anesthetic is going to be
used).

There are increasing reports of serious problems related to these and
other "alternative" drugs.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"