Date sent:              Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:51:27 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Marjorie L. Moorefield" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                PD:Neuro-psychologist
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> I was told years ago that all Neurologists are Board Certified
> Psychologists, how about it you Neurologists out there, is this true?

Nope.  The body which certifies neurologists is called the American
Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (dates from the "old days") and
they examine and certify both specialties.  You only take the exam in
one, however (unless you have taken a full residency in both, which is
very rare).  So, board-certified neurologists are certified in Neurology
by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, but are not
certified psychiatrists.

A Neuropsychologist is a psychologist (not an M. D., usually a Ph.
D., or a Psy. D.) who specializes in examining and testing patients with
neurological (physical) conditions.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"