Greg, in a perfect world this is true. However being a one on one
caregiver
is seldom easy..As I stated in an earlier
post, it is never acceptable for a caregiver
to loose it with a patient. But as you should be aware, you to Camilla,
there really is a great deal of difference between being a paid
caregiver(supposedly professional) and those that take care of a loved
one. Having been in both positions, I can honestly say that it is much
easier to care for a patient as a job than to be a personal caregiver
for a family member. Though I had patients that I became very close to,
it still is not the same emotionally .With a patient you are not as apt
to take to heart hurtfull things that, nor get as quickly
frustrated by odd actions.With a patient
it is  easier (for me anyway) to  follow
your training and stay focused on what is
the best for the patient.With a loved one it is much easier to get
sucked into emotional games. Fortunately for me now
George is a usually easy going nondemanding person. I have had the
other extreme taking care of my father
when he was dying of cancer.He was used to being in command of every
aspect of his surroundings.After several wks of feeling like a child
again, I had to draw on my CNA training and act as his caregiver and not
his daughter. That was the only way that I kept my sanity through a
tough 3 mos.
I really felt the need to clarify the very real difference in the
reality of personal (family) caregiver and a hired caregiver.
Juanita CG for George 74 dx 98.