"Jorge A Romero, MD" wrote:

> To Charles Murray and Benjamin Winter:
> To the statement that "Research suggested starting with Sinemet was unwise
> if an
> agonist would work," I would only comment that
> it is important to ask what kind of research.
> If you are talking about MARKET research, then it is certainly unwise to
> start with levodopa if you own stock in any one of the companies that make
> the agonists.
> Remember that the data used to promote the agonists is being pitted against
> 30 years of good experience with levodopa.  There is not a single drug used
> to treat Parkinson's that has the safety and efficacy record that levodopa
> has when used correctly.
> Jorge Romero, MD

Added comment in agreement with Jorge: I don't have time to look
them all
up, but I've seen a number of trial reports about starting PD
treatment
with an agonist to avoid levodopa (Sinemet). It seems that while
the
agonist may cause less dyskinesia at first, after a few years
when
levodopa becomes needed because the disease has progressed to
where the
agonist no longer suffices, the dyskinesia is no worse than if
levodopa
had been used from the start. Meanwhile the patient has been
denied the
vastly superior control of other motor symptoms provided by
levodopa-
based therapy. Many neuros try to dodge the question by
prescribing a bit
of levodopa-type medication and an agonist together, possibly on
some
theory that the reduction of levodopa will be beneficial, but I
don't
believe it. Cheers,
Joe

--