Paul Lauer wrote:
> 3. Protein intake absolutely affects the viability of Sinemet and is a major
> player in the result obtained. In lay terms (and I am a lay person, not a
> Dr.), the Sinemet competes with the medication for carriers into the brain
> and when present, will win, thereby lessening the medication's impact.

Hi Paul,
Your explanation is terrific; I would only say that the breakdown
products of protein (amino acids) are what competes with the levodopa
for carriers. and yes, there are lots more aminos than there is Sinemet,
so the aminos generally win.

> daily protein intake should
> approximate 0.8-1.0 grams per kg of body weight. Try to limit your morning
> meal protein and lunch meal protein to perhaps 5-10 grams each and intake the
> balance with dinner. Also try to take your medication at least an hour before
> eating to give it a good headstart into your brain before the protein gets a
> chance to interfere.

Here, I would say that unless a person is unusually protein-sensitive,
it's usually not necessary to limit protein in the early stages of PD.
For most people, taking regular Sinemet about 30 minutes before meals,
and Sinemet CR with or before meals, provides good results.

After a few years, some people begin to experience motor fluctuations
and it's at this point that protein adjustment can be helpful. However,
it's best to make an appointment with a registered dietitian, for an
individualized plan.

Apropos of that, I have conducted several seminars for health
professionals recently, and they have been very well received; so I have
hopes that more health professionals, including RDs, will soon be
trained in the special concerns that can come with PD.

For anyone in the area, I have been invited to speak on nutrition and PD
in Toledo, at the Movement Disorders Clinic at the Medical College of
Ohio, on July 15, at their annual symposium. This is for the public, and
I would very much enjoy meeting any listmembers who might be able to
attend.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/