Hi Joe,

"J. R. Bruman" wrote:
> I've very often seen statements like this one, from patients,
> caregivers,  lay students like me, etc., which imply that other proteins
> interfere  with the ability of levodopa to penetrate the blood-brain
> barrier, to  get from the blood into the brain. Perhaps I've missed them, but in 6
> years of scanning the professional medical journals, I've never
> seen a single statement like the one above in a scientific,
> peer-reviewed paper by an author having professional credentials.

The papers on this topic were mostly published in the 80's - early 90's,
when there were a number of studies done on protein's effects on
levodopa absorption:

Am J Clin Nutr 1992 Mar;55(3):701-7   Effect of daytime protein
restriction on nutrient intakes of free-living Parkinson's disease
patients.  Pare S, Barr SI, Ross SE

Arch Neurol 1992 Feb;49(2):149-51  Protein redistribution diet remains
effective in patients with fluctuating  parkinsonism. Karstaedt PJ,
Pincus JH

Arch Neurobiol (Madr) 1991 Nov-Dec;54(6):296-302 [Effect of a controlled
low-protein diet on the pharmacological response to levodopa and on the
plasma levels of L-dopa and amino acids in patients with Parkinson's
disease]. Sanchis G, Mena MA, Martin del Rio R, Morales B, Casarejo MJ,
de Yebenes MJ, Tabernero C, Jimenez A, de Yebenes JG

Br J Clin Pharmacol 1991 Apr;31(4):413-7 The influence of protein
containing meals on the pharmacokinetics of levodopa in healthy
volunteers.  Robertson DR, Higginson I, Macklin BS, Renwick AG, Waller
DG, George CF

Arch Neurol 1991 Apr;48(4):402-5  Standard and controlled-release
levodopa/carbidopa in patients with  fluctuating Parkinson's disease on
a protein redistribution diet. A preliminary report. Karstaedt PJ,
Pincus JH, Coughlin SS

Eur Neurol 1991;31(2):68-71  Protein redistribution diet and
antiparkinsonian response to levodopa.  Bracco F, Malesani R, Saladini
M, Battistin L

 J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1989 Sep;52(9):1063-7  The effects of
oral protein on the absorption of intraduodenal levodopa and motor
performance.
Frankel JP, Kempster PA, Bovingdon M, Webster R, Lees AJ, Stern GM
Department of Neurology, Middlesex Hospital, London, UK.

 Neurology 1989 Apr;39(4):549-52  The effect of dietary protein on the
efficacy of L-dopa: a double-blind study.  Tsui JK, Ross S, Poulin K,
Douglas J, Postnikoff D, Calne S, Woodward W, Calne DB

 Neurology 1988 Jul;38(7):1026-31  Practical application of a
low-protein diet for Parkinson's disease.  Riley D, Lang AE

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments on timing of meals and
Sinemet, and as always, look forward to the CSR digests!

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/