----- Original Message -----
From: Charles T. Meyer MD
To: Jorge A Romero, MD ; [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2000 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: Re: questions for Charles Murray

Hi Jorge,

I did not get the full article but did get the summary from the NEJM web
site. They set out to discover:
             "Background. There is debate about whether the initial
treatment  for patients with Parkinson's disease should be levodopa or  a
dopamine agonist."
And in my estimation adequately showed it. They conclude:
"Conclusions. Early Parkinson's disease can be managed successfully for up
to five years with a reduced risk of dyskinesia by initiating treatment with
ropinirole alone and supplementing it with levodopa if necessary. (N Engl J
Med 2000;342:1484-91.) "
You are saying the study is fatally flawed because they do not have a group
where they add the ropinerole to the L-DOPA but rather add the L-DOPA to the
ropinerole.  While I agree that more information might have been obtained
from the study had the study been done in the way you would have preferred,
they appear IMHO to have proven their hypothesis.They were attempting to
discover whether patients treated with Ropinerole first- prior to l-dopa did
better than those who started with those that started with l-dopa.  The end
point was dyskinesia.  The study was much simpler to do leaving out the
group you suggest since symptoms were titrated with a known drug known to
improve symptoms- a significant plus for the patients participating in the
study.

I don't think the purpose of the study was to prove that Ropinerole itself
prevents dyskinesia only that its early use can prevent dyskinesias by
making the total needed dose of L-DOPA lower.  They are not saying
Ropinerole itself is protective only that early use lowers the dose of
L-DOPA and therefore delays the onset of dyskinetic movements.

What do you think of my interpretation?  I think I am correct but I am open
to other ideas.

Charlie