Dave Bergford wrote:
> Also, my neurologist has me taking 1000mg of Vitamin E twice a day.  I have
> pointed out to him that this is of questionable value, but he argues this
> point with me.  What is your understanding?

Many neurologists are prescribing this much and even more vitamin E to
their patients. If you have a family history of hemorrhagic stroke, or
if you are taking blood thinners (aspirin, coumadin, some herbs, etc.)
your primary care physician should be made aware that you are taking
pharmacologic amounts of vitamin E. There is a possibility that vit. E,
which in large amounts contributes to blood thinning, could raise risk
for hemorrhagic stroke.

I myself think that, as PD is a stressful condition, and stress leads to
generation of free radicals, antioxidants may helpful. Food sources of
antioxidants are the gold standard; however, it can be difficult to get
the RDA for vit. E from food. Most experts agree that supplements of
vit. E of 200-400 IUs per day are safe. More than that should be
discussed with your primary care physician, in my opinion.
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/