Indeed, sexual issues can be a difficult and embarrassing problem that may have repercussions in
marital relations and in other situations.  Not all of them need be attributed to the drugs, but
certainly they may be seen as drug side effects.

They can have several components or manifestations:

1)    Increased libido - which in itself should not be a great problem - (as some of the wives in
this list clearly indicated already.)
2)    Decreased inhibition and inappropriate behavior - this could very well pose a problem
3)    Compulsive or obsessive sexuality - this is a major problem - fortunately it is not very
common.

One approach to treating any of these aspects of the problem is to reduce the dose of medication.  I
have had patients who have responded to adding medications like anafranil or Paxil (which are used
for obseessive compulsive disorder) when obsessive or compulsive features of the hyspersexuality
seemed to be an issue.  The disihibited aspects may reflect some degree of early dementia.  Mild
tranquilizers like mellaril or quetiapine have been helpful in this situation.

In any case, they should be discussed freely with your physician, neurologist, or movement disorder
expert.

Jorge Romero, MD