Hey All,
Finally, something I have some expertise with.  This was my area of study
in College (I graduate June 16th).  While massage is by no stretch of the
imagination a cure, there are many benefits for a PWP........aside from the
fact that it DOES feel good.  :O)  During my training I had the opportunity
to work with people in varying stages of Parkinson's.  That is, in fact,
how I came to be a part of this list.  One of the more recent topics on
this list has been regarding constipation.  This happens as the result of
peristalsis being decreased, whether through medications or strictly
physical factors.  Abdominal massage does wonders to help increase
peristalsis, although that doesn't mean you can stop eating fiber (I was
asked that once).  If you deal with tremors of any kind, these tend to be
increased by stress and/or anxiety (which stimulate the sympathetic nervous
system, also refered to as the flight or fight response).  Massage helps to
override this and allows your parasympathic nervous system (also refered to
as rest & digest) to kick in, therefore decreasing the occurance of tremors
in many.  Muscle rigidity and spasming both respond well to pressure
techniques that affect Golgi Tendon Organs and release proprioceptors
(these both allow for increased length in a muscle).
Prolonged rigidity in a particular area causes a loss of range of motion
which then can lead to joint contractures.  A registered Massage Therapist
is trained to do joint mobilizations (although not to the extent that a
chiropractor does) and remedial exercises which both help greatly with
maintaining your range of motion.  These are just a few of the things that
popped into my head when I saw this posting.  Unfortunately massage therapy
is not always an option for PWP, it depends on what your insurance will
cover.  If it is an option for you though, it is well worth looking into.
One more suggestion, if you can, look for a Registered Massage Therapist
that has been trained in Ontario or in British Columbia.  These 2 provinces
have the highest standards of training anywhere in North America.  For
those of you who reside in the States, many RMT's are heading across the
border to practice in your country.........one fellow from my class is
headed for California.  Okay, I'm climbing off my soapbox now.  If any of
you have any questions, I'll do my very best to answer them for you.  Oh,
just for the record........none of this replaces your medications, it only
helps by working alongside them.
Peace
Pat