Hi Susie - I am also 46 years old and was diagnosed 7 years ago but have had
symptoms for about 13 years.  I wouldn't really call myself an "athlete" but
I do play tennis and have since before the Parkinson's symptoms started.  I'm
not saying I was Wimbledon material or anything but I'm sure I could've
gotten a lot better at it than I am now if it wasn't for the Parkinson's.  I
have lots of "off and on" times all through the day that go from very rigid
to uncontrollable movements so my tennis game varies according to how I feel
at the moment.  Every once in a while I have a day when I feel completely
"normal" during the time I'm playing tennis and it's the greatest feeling.
Fortunately I have a wonderful group of women I play with who understand what
I go through, get my pills if I need them, etc.  I did fall once on the court
and needed stitches to my face since I wasn't able to get my arms out fast
enough to catch my fall.

I don't know if any of this information helped you, but I plan to continue
playing tennis as long as I can.  I also walk but not alone - either my
husband, my dog or both go with me so if I freeze up they can pull me along!

Debby