Listmembers:

There have been several discussions of constipation problems and
relief on the list.  I do not recall any suggestions of using
Colace (docusate sodium) 100 mg as a treatment.

Docusate sodium is sold over the counter as "Stool Softener" in
the generic form and is available with a laxative if needed.  It
comes in easy to swallow gel caps.  The price (without laxative)
is about $1.90 for 60 or $3.75 for 120 pills at WalMart.  That
figures out to about 3 cents per pill --- 3 to 6 cents per day at
the label rate.  The full label rate may not be needed.

I have had a somewhat atypical problem for nearly 40 years that
was not diagnosed correctly until about 8 years ago.  Stool
softener gel caps have been very effective.  Doctors had
previously tried everything from nitroglycerine to Valium to
relieve the symptoms for the pain that originates behind my last
rib on the right side when I am having problems.

But remember, there is no substitute for drinking plenty of
liquids in addition to medication and getting as much exercise as
possible.

Paul