As I have mentioned before I get a free newletter called NETSURFER DIGEST
and I found 3 things in it this morning which I think are important to all
of us.
Two are on SECURITY and one explains why we have had so much trouble with
our DIRECT-TV I think.

  I'd directly send the first two to the Administrators of the
Pieno at U of T if I had their email address, but maybe someone would be so
kind??
When people from MIT start talking---I listen!!!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
List of Top Ten Security Exploits
Take this list seriously indeed. Online security organization SANS has
released this list of the top ten security exploits used by hackers to gain
access to online sites. The list is based on a consensus of well known
security experts and organizations, a gathering of names which make up an
elite who's who of the computer security community. These are all well
known exploits which many sysadmins either don't know about or don't know
how to fix. Yet fixes and strategies exist for all these hacks, and this
resource gives pointers for dealing with them. Bottom line: these are the
most dangerous holes in your network - get your sysadmins on the case to
fix them.
<http://www.sans.org/topten.htm>http://www.sans.org/topten.<http://www.sans.org/topten.htm>htm

Security Hole in PGP 5.0
If you're relying on strong PGP cryptography to protect your files, pay
attention to this. A flaw in PGP 5.0's command line versions on Linux and
BSD Unix variants will, under certain circumstances, limit the randomness
of the keys you generate, which means they can be broken more easily.
ComputerWorld has the article while SecurityFocus has the text of the
advisory. PGP versions 2.x and 6.5 are not affected by this, nor are ports
to other operating systems.
Article:
<http://www.computerworld.com/home/print.nsf/all/000526E30E>http://www.computerworld.com/home/print.nsf<http://www.computerworld.com/home/print.nsf/all/000526E30E>/all/000526E30E
Advisory:
<http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=2000-05-22&msg=20000523141323.A28431>http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=2000-05-22&[log in to unmask]<http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=2000-05-22&msg=20000523141323.A28431>[log in to unmask]

And I just ordered a number of quilt patterns using this PGP 5.0----RATS!!!!!!!

This is probably what is bothering our DIRECT-TV, at least we know its not
just the rain anymore

Solar Storms Hitting Earth: Sizzle or Fizzle?
Some massive solar activity this week might result in an increase in aurora
displays, at least in the Northern Hemisphere. Aside from the coolness of
all this solar power hitting our planet, you should note that we are in the
middle of a solar maximum. Every 11 years, the sun reaches a peak in
activity, with numerous sunspots and many solar flares that have the
potential to disrupt electronic equipment in space and even on the ground.
You can track this kind of activity at SpaceWeather.com, which offers the
latest data and news from various spacecraft dedicated to keeping tabs on
our space environment.
<http://www.spaceweather.com/>http://www.spaceweather<http://www.spaceweather.com/>.com/

AND LAST, BUT NOT LEAST: from Associated Press

MIGRAINES BLAMED ON ELECTRICAL DISORDER
THE FINDINGS OPEN NEW WAYS TO ATTACK HEADACHES.

I don't have time to scan this article in the Herald this morning as I have
to take my husband
to the Doctor.  But if someone wants more info. drop me an email off line
and when I get back
I'll scan it and send it to you.  It may be on some of the newservices too,
I haven't looked.

As Ever,
just Marjorie
67/12