Rita,
The whole thing is totally amazing! I'm so happy for you.
  The last paragraph stands out--
"Surgery on Monday, and Tuesday evening I was fixing dinner (it takes a lot of
skill and energy to open a package of pork chops and put them on the grill!!!"

I have never fully understood, nor probably will never understand ,why a PWP
can't open anything. They told me I'd have problems with "Finely co-ordinated
acts", I just didn't realize there would be so many of them.
The scissors are the most important tool in my kitchen, and I carry a small
pair
in a leather sheath in my purse ,to open things when I'm not home.
My bottle and jar opener has a long handle on it so it gives better
leverage, but
the energy to do so can't be bought!!!!  Unfortunately!!!

Please don't overdo, take it easy and enjoy life.

As Ever,
just Marjorie