On 8 Jun 2000, at 10:54, Bob & Joy Graham wrote:

> Dear List members,
>
> (Sorry I gave the wrong title for this posting....)
>
> I would be interested in learning about Multiple System Atrophy, and in
> particular striatonigral degeneration.
>
> I have a friend who is struggling to understand this form of Parkinsonism.
>
> Thanks so much
>
>  Joy Graham

Hi Joy and Bob,
There are links on page 2 of WWWebResources (Parkinsons Plus)
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/index.html

The below abstract confirms that Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) is ONE
DISEASE with various manifestations which includes Sporadic
(NON-HEREDITARY) Olivopontocerebellar atrophy (OPCA),
Shy-Drager Syndrome (SDS) and Striatonigral Degeneration (SND).
http://dem0nmac.mgh.harvard.edu/forum/MovementDisordersF/5.22.9810.46PMMSA.SporadicO
PCA

NINDS mini information sheet on Striatonigral Degeneration
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/patients/Disorder/striatonigral/striatonigral-degeneration.HTM

Striatonigral Degeneration
http://www.amazinggrace.org/richard/Striatonigral.htm

An early description  of striatonigral degeneration
http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00415/bibs/9246006/92460462.htm

Baylor Neurology - Case of the Month - Patient 22
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat22/menu.html

Increased Basal Ganglia Iron In Striatonigral Degeneration:
In Vivo Estimation With Magnetic Resonance
http://www.canjneurolsci.org/25febtoc/increas.html

MSA
http://www.ndrf.org/MSA.htm

E-mail Support Group for MSA / Shy-Draeger
http://dem0nmac.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/ShyDragerF/7.1.996.54PMEmailsupportg.html

I hope this helps ...... murray

View the Parkinson's Awareness Links at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/index.html