Date sent:              Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:02:20 -0500
Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
From:                   Frans van Duinen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: scientific inquiry question
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> note hat most of the dopamina in Fava beans is in the pods rather than
> in the beans (possibly as much as 95%).  And it appears to me that
> exensive cooking destroys it. Our local supermarket (which has a lot
> of Italian-descend customers) occasionally sells Fava beans in the
> pods. So I tried a batch. I cut out the black spots and chopped them
> in the Cuisinart as fine as I could get them - which was not fine
> enough.  The skins of the beans and he stringy pod bits were a
> problem.

The old topic of fava beans and their Dopamine content comes up
periodically, but the potential for problems needs to be exposed, also.

There is a condition, called "favism" which occurs when fava beans
are eaten by people who lack an enzyme for breaking down a
component of the bean.  This lack is genetic and is freqently found in
people of Mediterranean ancestry (Italian, Greek, Spanish, North
African, etc.).  It can cause serious problems, including blindness.

BTW, one has to consume many pounds of fava beans to obtain the
amount of Dopamine present in one Sinemet dose.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"