"Teresa V. Bohuszewicz" wrote:
> I know that Comtan binds with the COMT enzyme so that the enzyme is not able
> to bind with levodopa.  What normally binds with the enzyme that is now
> taken over by the Comtan?  In other words if a PWP is not taking Comtan or
> levodopa what would be the purpose of the COMT enzyme?

Im memory serves me, (getting dicey) COMT is one of the body's
two major
guardians againse excess production of amphetamine (Adrenaline)
which
is part of the "fight or flight" reaction when needed. The other
is
monoamine oxidase. That's why the PIs for selegiline (a MAO
inhibitor) tolcapone, and entacapone (COMT inhibitors) warn
against taking a COMT
inhibitor and a MAO inhibitor at the same time, it could provoke
hypertensive crisis. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694