Don,
I am a dog trainer (not service dogs though) but have something that might
work for the dog when you turn left. You may want to ask the SD trainer to
be sure, but if the dog uses a command to "walk at heel" for example "heel"
or "let's go", it may indicate to the dog that you are changing direction
and not planning on falling! Since I don't know exactly how the dog was
trained, can only speculate.

>  i just got a golden retriever to help me for 2 weeks. i use my cane in my
right hand dog at my left pusher hard against me. to keep from falling only
trouble is when i want to go left she try to stop me more and likely thinks
i am going to fall.

I also will use this as a brief intro. I have been "lurking" for a few weeks
now. I have been referred by my GP to a neurologist who specializes in
Parkinsons, but can't get in for another month.  I am a 42 yr old female,
very active, and have been watching symptoms develop until such time as 1) I
was fairly certain I wouldn't be wasting my money or my sanity going to the
Dr. and them not finding anything wrong and 2) until I felt my symptoms were
getting bad enough to consider treatment. I have been researching Parkinsons
and am not thrilled about the treatment options and their side effects! I am
currently doing the supplement routine recommended by Lombard & Germano and
Birkmeyer et al. Some days I see what I think are results, some days I
don't.  Symptoms are pretty typical - tremors, especially after serious
physical activity, stiffness in my hands, and turning in of my L foot such
that it is now effecting my gait - tremors were the only thing that made me
think Parkinson until I started researching it, then had an AH HA
experience! In retrospect, my first symptoms probably started 2-3 yrs ago,
but it never occurred to me that it might be Parkinsons. It has only been
the last 6 months that I suspected and the last 3 that I have been
researching.

I am considering expanding my current competition dog's training to include
service dogs duties, knowing that by the time I need a service dog all the
time, I will be training the replacement. I have learned alot from this list
and look forward to reading more.

Fran Peck
Email: [log in to unmask]