To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 12:22 PM
Subject: NEWS: BBC: 'First real test' for Alzheimer's

> 'First real test' for Alzheimer's
>
> Tuesday, 20 June, 2000, 00:00 GMT 01:00 UK - Scientists claim to have
developed a test allowing an earlier confirmation of Alzheimer's disease.

> Until now, the only way of making a definite diagnosis was by looking at
the brain in detail after death.

> The test, if successful, could mean that Alzheimer's patients could be
placed on treatments earlier, before their condition has declined further.

> This would keep them in a less badly-affected state for longer.
>
> It would also allow scientists to monitor the success or otherwise of any
new treatments for Alzheimer's.

> The research team, from the Pennsylvania School of Medicine in the US, has
found a chemical molecule which can enter the brain and bind with the
"plaques" which form in brain tissue - a key feature of the disease.

> So far their experiments have only been carried out in animals, but the
team is confident that their results will translate into humans.

> Blood brain barrier
>
> The key to success is breaching the "blood-brain barrier", which is
designed to stop harmful chemicals reaching the brain from the rest of the
body.

> The team is using a "stealth" molecule, called BSB, which can pass this,
and go on to bind with the plaques.

> This dye-like molecule then shows up on certain types of brain scan,
showing exactly how much plaque is present in the brain.

> The work has been successfully carried out in mice which are prone to
developing similar plaques.

> The molecule was injected into the mouse's vein, and managed to reach the
plaques in the brain, described by the researchers as the "Holy Grail".

> Dr Virginia Lee, leading the research, said: "This is definitely proof of
concept.

> "This is an essential first step for the development of an antemortem
diagnostic for Alzheimer's disease."

> The team plans to work on to improve the ability of BSB to slip through
the blood brain barrier, and the way in which it shows up on scans.

> A spokesman for the Alzheimer's Disease Society said: "There is currently
no way to make a definite diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease until the post
mortem.