"William T.Wallace Jr." wrote:

> -Janet, I have a question that I believe you can help me address.
>     I wrote to my senator urging support for  stem cell legislation.  I
> would like to respnd to his concerns, which are the usual source of cells
>  abortions) - issue. Is there a standard rebuttal to this common
> conservative reluctance to support anything that even suggests enencouraging
> abortions

First-- abortions are not the preferred source for stem cells
           possible chomosomal abnormalies and such
           depending on reason for it

Second-- the preferred source for stem cells is from
               leftover in vito fertilization embryos
               that are discarded anyway -- with permission,
                could be donated, when an infertile couple
               become pregnant and their bundle of joy arrives.

I'm sure there is much supportive material out there.
Check murray's info on pieno web pages
and search the archive...i've seen well worded arguements
for stem cell research from this list.

>     I am sure you have heard it many times before.  No federal funds  should
> be used to encourage creating fetal material  to be used for human research.

These embryos are not generated for research...they are leftovers...
stored indefinitely in liquid nitrogen until permission is granted to dispose of
them.
This is going on constantly, whether research gets any or not.

> I am especialy desireous of obtaining Senator Gregg's support. Our knowledge
> of each other is more than casual.  He was New Hampshire's governor for a
> term and I served as his Health Commisioner.

You seem like you could be a key person..read up and get information,
so that you can be articulate and prepared for any arguement.

And lots of luck.

>     I look forward to your reply.  I welcome any other replies from the
> list.                          Bill Wallace

Hey folks -- help out here -- i gotta go.

                    Ray Strand
     mailto:[log in to unmask]
            48/47 dx/40 ?onset

...on the edge of the prairie abyss ......................