>Janet, your words brought to my mind
>a song I learned as a teenager.
>No Man Is An Island.,
>The words are very profound.
>No man is an island, no man stands alone.
>Each mans joy is joy to me .
>I cannot remember the rest right this moment.
>However I believe the first line says it all!
>Juanita CG for George 74/71/64

The song is a favorite of mine also, and was sung at my mother's memorial
service. I heard it first on an old recording by Fred Waring's singers, and
sing it now from our Quaker hymnal:

"I saw the people gather,
I heard the music start--
the song that they were singing
 Is ringing in my heart-----

"No man is an island, no man stands alone.
Each man's joy is joy to me,
Each man's grief is my own.
We need one another,
So I will defend
 Each man as my brother.
 Each man as my friend.

The title of course is from John Donne's  "Devotions XVII" (I looked it up
in Bartlett's Quotations):
        "No man is an Iland , intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of
the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod be washed away by the Sea,
Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a
Mannor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore nver send to know for whom
the bell tolls: it tolls for thee."
                        John Donne (1573-1631)

Isn't this a good philosophy to live by?

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on PDWebring at
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for