Linda J Herman wrote:

> .... for pointing out the importance of evaluating  sources  of
> information. For those interested, this is from a guide for evaluating
> Medline (PubMed, GratefulMed)  abstracts  from the National Library of
> Medicine (I substituted examples of abstracts on PD):
> Guide to Medline Abstracts :Three Clues to look for:

And thanks to you, Linda, for these very helpful hints. Here are
a few
more, personal and opinionated to be sure, but whatever works-

1. Prestige of Printed Medium: If authors think they have a
really
earth-shaking discovery, they will try to get into one of the
important
general-coverage publications such as the Wall Street Journal or
New York
Times. Next level, one of the two big-time science news weeklies:
Science (US), or Nature (UK). Failing that, one of the medical
weekly journals (more or less in order of priority); Lancet,
British Medical Journal, New England Journal of Medicine, Western
Journal of Medicine, JAMA. JAMA is big on social and political
issues, not so much on pure science. After that, one of the big
professional society journals such as
Neurology or Annals of Neurology. After those come the myriad of
very
respectable but specialized journals: Movement Disorders,
Clinical Neuro-
pharmacology, etc.
2. Prestige of Author: If he's a well-known big shot, he may be
the sole
author. Not always true, but if there is a crowd of listed
authors, thar
sometimes suggests that the research was more or less of a class
project,
giving opportunity to "get something published", or to attend one
of the
big symposia in, say, Rio de Janeiro or Bermuda.
3. Cost of Research Resources: People early in their science
careers may
be assigned research based only upon already published
statistical data.
Then they may graduate to in vitro lab experiments; As success
grows,
they will be able to obtain grants for animal experiments,
starting
with mice. By the time a scientist is able to test his theories
on
human subjects, he has "arrived", and you may assume a
corresponding
increase in likelihood that he has something important to say.
There
now exists an actual rating scheme for authors, articles, and
journals,
based upon the number of times a given item is cited as a
reference in
articles subsequently published. Obviously, authors and journals
depend
on this for their own continued success.

Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694