Dear Listfriends -

We've had a recent reminder of the benefits of DBS, and I wanted to share our
renewed appreciation for it with the group.  Dick had bilateral pallidal
stimulations 4-1/2 years ago, and had a new lease on life.

Occasionally (on about three different occasions), some outside source of
magnetism will turn the stimulators (or one of them) off, and we'll discover
just how much benefit he's receiving from the stimulators.  About a month
ago, he began showing increased symptoms - more freezing, balance problems,
lack of stamina, "break-through" tremor, which he hadn't had in a long time,
and cognitive difficulties.  A good part of the time he was in the stage of
"the lights are on, but no one's home."

What was interesting is that he wasn't as able to detect the changes as I
was, as an outside observer.  He knew he wasn't up to par, but gave me the
impression he thought his life was generally more difficult, and people and
events were conspiring to make it that way!   I guess that's a nice way of
saying he was a bit on the cranky and impatient side!

  After a month of enduring this, we got an appointment to have his
stimulators checked.  Sure enough, something had turned one of them off!  He
was turned back on and reset, and "voila!"  He was a whole new person.  Or
the old person we'd "lost" when the stimulator went off.

I think we have a tendency to take the improvement for granted, but the month
without just one of his stimulators functioning was a very good reminder of
how much we have to be grateful for.  Thanks to Dr. William Koller, formerly
of KU Med and now in Florida at the NPF, and Dr. Steven Wilkinson, of KU Med,
Dick has good quality of life and has had almost five good years (with
presumably more to come) that he wouldn't have had without the surgery.

Margie Swindler, cg for Dick, 55/18