please take no offense
donning asbestos suit
i have a differing opinion

honor diversity

"J. R. Bruman" wrote:

> Linda J Herman wrote:
> >
> > .... for pointing out the importance of evaluating  sources  of
> > information. For those interested, this is from a guide for evaluating
> > Medline (PubMed, GratefulMed)  abstracts  from the National Library of
> > Medicine (I substituted examples of abstracts on PD):
> > Guide to Medline Abstracts :Three Clues to look for:
>
> And thanks to you, Linda, for these very helpful hints. Here are
> a fewmore, personal and opinionated to be sure, but whatever works-
>
> 1. Prestige of Printed Medium: If authors think they have a
> reallyearth-shaking discovery, they will try to get into one of the
> important general-coverage publications such as the Wall Street Journal or
> New York Times.

i don't think a "real" scientist would go for these first ( IMHO  :)

> Next level, one of the two big-time science news weeklies:
> Science (US), or Nature (UK). Failing that, one of the medical
> weekly journals (more or less in order of priority); Lancet,
> British Medical Journal, New England Journal of Medicine, Western
> Journal of Medicine, JAMA. JAMA is big on social and political
> issues, not so much on pure science. After that, one of the big
> professional society journals such as

i think this is
                     upside down

                     nwod edispu

inside out  tuo edisni

> Neurology or Annals of Neurology. After those come the myriad of
> very respectable but specialized journals: Movement Disorders,
> Clinical Neuro-pharmacology, etc.

> 2. Prestige of Author: If he's a well-known big shot, he may be

> the sole author. Not always true, but if there is a crowd of listed

> authors, that sometimes suggests that the research was more or less of a class
>
> project, giving opportunity to "get something published", or to attend one
> of the big symposia in, say, Rio de Janeiro or Bermuda.

sometimes...my sister was a published author as an under-graduate...
so was i actually, recognition from my boss, thanks from others at other times.

> 3. Cost of Research Resources: People early in their science
> careers may be assigned research based only upon already published
> statistical data. Then they may graduate to in vitro lab experiments; As
> success

this sounds like an entire career...to do these things
too trite...can't pidgin hole this easily
some jobs revolve around these activities --not just one person
there is more diversity than this implies

> grows, they will be able to obtain grants for animal experiments,
> starting with mice. By the time a scientist is able to test his theories
> on human subjects, he has "arrived", and you may assume a

usually this is done by separate teams and labs--several kinds--

> corresponding increase in likelihood that he has something important to say.

what is  "said" must hold up to the scrutiny of  reproducability in other labs.
it doesn't take long to see who is talking through their hat, if you are in the
biz.

most scientists collaboate with others
net-working resources and expertise

sometimes the best articles come from stating the obvious and becomes
classically sited from then on--when there is synergy.

> There now exists an actual rating scheme for authors, articles, and
> journals, based upon the number of times a given item is cited as a
> reference in articles subsequently published. Obviously, authors and journals
> depend on this for their own continued success.

it takes a team, facilities, funding and grants,
vast and specific knowledge--  cool headed logic, and  institutional support
and ...   a dream    ...   not just a good rating.

> Cheers,
> Joe

please Cheers

> J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
> 3527 Cody Road
> Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013

                    Ray Strand
     mailto:[log in to unmask]
            48/47 dx/40 ?onset

...on the edge of the prairie abyss ......................